Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tin

So, I have discovered  that making things out of tin is extreme fun. This summer I have had the opportunity to work with Mike Runyon in the Tin Shop at Sauder Village in Archbold Ohio. Thanks to Mike's extreme patience and teaching skill, I have been able to make some items using historical techniques and tools. I have made a couple of tin cups, a tray, and best of all, cookie cutters. My fave has to be free form cutters that are soldered to a back plate. I have uploaded a pic of the shop and also a pic of a manatee, lady gnome, a shark, and a pug face cookie cutter.




The cutters are soldered by using an alcohol lamp and a blow pipe. The operator blows through a brass tube through the alcohol flame to create a point of flame that can be directed to the joint that you want to solder. The solder is lead free and safe to use for kitchen items. After bending a strip of tin to the shape you want, it is soldered to the plate. Done! And extreme fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment